Land Rover and BORN Awards are united in the belief that exceptional creators of beautiful products can shape the way we look at the world, and ultimately, change the way we live.
The BORN Awards welcomes the next generation and established design thinkers to encourage connections, conversations, and cross-creations. Its task is to seek out visionaries across the world whose work has the potential to revolutionise their respective fields and that embodies the BORN pillars of desirability, functionality, and integrity.
This 9th annual BORN Awards celebrates excellence across the categories of Architecture, Technology, Home, Fashion, Sports, and Retail Concept. Our respected jury has selected from 7,000 candidates and 192 nominees from 6 different regions. The winners and special prizes for Italy, France, and Spain who have distinguished themselves under the theme of ‘DESIRE’ were presented in an exceptional exhibition during Milan Design Week.
In Spain, the Capriles sisters with Lab Lamarca in Madrid proved how a retail concept can become a unique experience for the body and soul. Architect Elsa Urquijo, won over the Social Impact Special Prize with the Amancio Ortega Foundation for their impactful social charity institution, Padre Rubinos in La Coruña, that provides shelter and asylum to the needy.
The winners and special prizes in their category are:
• Technology: Oscar Pierre for the Glovo app
• Fashion: Moira Laporta and Alessandra de Osma for Mōi & Sass and their latest collection
• Interiors: Luca Nichetto for the Gemo Lamp x Parachilna
• Architecture: Cruz y Ortiz Arquitectos for Wanda Metropolitano Stadium in Madrid
• Sports & Leisure: Pablo Mas for Yuccs sneakers
• Retail Concept: Mischka and Magally Capriles for LAB Lamarca in Madrid
• Special Prize Beauty: Susana Rodríguez Navarro for Cantabria Labs
• Special Prize Culinary Design: Chef Paco Roncero for multisensory dining experiences
• Special Prize Social Impact: Elsa Urquijo Architects for Padre Rubinos social charity institution from Amancio Ortega Foundation in La Coruña
• Special Sustainable Prize: Xavier Mora and Sandra Compte for livingthings
BORN Awards founder Jean-Christophe Chopin said, “I launched the BORN Awards with the idea that we must celebrate the visionary creators of the world who have unparalleled ideas and who realize those ideas. It’s Leonardo da Vinci’s 500th anniversary this year. What better place to celebrate creativity and design excellence than in Milan, where he lived and found much of his inspiration. We are delighted to be here during Design Week thanks to our partner, Land Rover.”
The theme of the 2019 awards is ‘Desire’.
Gerry McGovern, Chief Design Officer, Land Rover said, “with this year selection we wanted to create an emotional connection. The winners from Italy, France and Spain have captured the all important ingredient, desirability.”
The 2019 Global Final will be held in London this October.
Special thanks to the Spanish jury: Marta Riopérez, Journalist; Javier Goyeneche, President & Founder of ECOALF; Belén de Lacalle Rubio, Director of Communication, Press & Public Relations at Jaguar Land Rover Spain; Edgar González, Leads the Bachelor in Design at the IE School of Architecture and Design; Ana Domínguez Siemens, Journalist and curator of design exhibitions; Carlos Rubio Carvajal, Architect; Carlos Urroz, ARCO Contemporary Art Fair, Spain Director; Modesto Lomba, President of the Association of Spanish Fashion Creators